Since Bridges’ inception in 1927, volunteers have been an important part of fulfilling our mission of serving an empowered and united community in which the Deaf, deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing equally participate and are equally valued.
Our volunteers have the opportunity to work in a variety of settings in our agency, with the benefit of gaining and/or improving skill in American Sign Language (ASL) skills. Although ASL is not required for a Bridges’ volunteer position, we do request that volunteers be open and willing to learn!
· Office Volunteer: Do you have or want experience working in an office? Duties may include answering the phone, assisting with clients in the computer lab, helping with mailings, filing, researching, and other administrative tasks.
· Youth Center Volunteer (during the academic year): Our youth program (The Signing ACEs) offers programs and services to young people and their families to help address the needs of those with hearing loss. Volunteers are needed for Bridges' afterschool program. Duties may include assisting with homework, tutoring, teaching sports, helping with projects, and teaching life skills. Volunteers are also needed to ride in the van to pick up the students from school and drop them off after the program. Volunteers are encouraged to share special skills with the youth.
· Fitness Center Volunteer: Do you enjoy exercise and want to help others stay fit? Volunteer in our fitness department and teach fitness classes or provide personal training to Bridges’ clients.
· ASL Class Volunteer: Are you fluent in ASL and would like to help others learn? Volunteers assist Bridges’ ASL instructors during class and with their class preparations.
· Special Event Volunteer: Can you only volunteer occasionally? Bridges hosts a number of events throughout the year—from informal community potlucks to our annual fundraiser Music City Derby Day—and volunteers are needed to help with planning, set-up, decorating, and other tasks.
If these opportunities don’t match your time or talents, let us know.
Our volunteer staff wants to help you create a meaningful volunteer experience!